Awona W. Harrington Astronomy Scholarship
The Awona W. Harrington Fund was established by her friends in August 1984, following her tragic death as the victim of a drunk driver. Her professional life was devoted to developing and enlarging San Diego State University Library’s excellent collection in research and technology. Following her retirement as Science Librarian in 1980, Awona became a special volunteer, friend and associate of the Astronomy Department and Mount Laguna Observatory. She established the position of Observatory Secretary, involving herself extensively and with great energy and devotion. Awona was also instrumental in forming the Friends of Mount Laguna Observatory. It was Awona who first initiated Occasional Notes from Mount Laguna Observatory, which is now continued as the MLO Newsletter. She was a friend and confidante to SDSU students and an esteemed colleague to the staff. The Awona W. Harrington Award for Service is competitive in nature and primarily based upon service although professional promise and financial need may also be considered.
To apply for this scholarship, submit a General Application.
If you do not meet all of these requirements in a given term, you may lose your scholarship eligibility and your scholarship may be canceled.
- All class levels are eligible.
- Recipients will be pursuing a program of study in the Department of Astronomy in the College of Sciences.
- Undergraduate recipients must have a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.00 out of 4.00, or the arithmetic equivalent.
- Graduate recipients must have a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 3.00 out of 4.00, or the arithmetic equivalent.
- Applicants must respond to the following short answer prompt:
o Please describe your current/prior volunteer or outreach activity service with the SDSU Department of Astronomy, Mount Laguna Observatory, or other department in the College of Sciences.